Happy Valentine’s Day….I’m not a big fan of this holiday. It’s one of those Hallmark Holiday’s that make me suspicious of real love and for “show” love. But all of this “holiday” talk left me feeling like I needed to create something for dessert on the big day. Nothing says a holiday of love better than a sweet treat!
I’ve been experimenting and I think I came up with the perfect way to merge healthier with moderation food.
First I whipped up the chocolate cupcakes that are made with applesauce and a cafe latte greek yogurt! I picked up the Greek yogurt just to try since coffee and I are in serious love. And it was a BIG hit in this recipe. Truth be told though the yogurt itself is amazing, I may have licked the cup clean 😉
Back to those pur-dy cupcakes!
Chocolate Cake Lighten Up:
- 1/2 Butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt ( I used cafe latte flavor-YUM!)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- In a Saucepan bring the butter, water and baking cocoa to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add to the mixture flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- Combine eggs, yogurt and applesauce and add to mixture.
- Place liners in your baking cups and fill. Bake at 350 degrees for 16-18 minutes.
*Makes 24 cupcakes.
White Chocolate Protein Frosting:
- 2 scoops Designer Whey White Chocolate Protein Powder
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 reduced fat butter softened
- 2 or 3 teaspoons fat-free milk (or Almond milk)
- Red Food coloring optional
- Combine all ingredients together will be thick.
- Frost cupcakes
Frosting made with my favorite protein powder I call this a successful Valentine’s Day treat!
Happy V-Day Everyone! I hope you are all enjoying the day in the best possible way for you.
Although I’m not a fan of the day, I did have fun helping my son’s make Valentines for their classrooms! These were simple to make and cute for my son’s two-year old class. And today I was lucky enough to be able to go to both of my sons school parties and enjoy the moment. They are getting so big so fast!
Question of the day: What is your favorite sweet treat?