Tonight was the night! The first night I have been able to create a side dish from just the veggies I pulled from my own garden!….woo hoo!
And how good does this look? I called it a Grilled Summer Stacker. I’m trying out some new recipes now for all the zucchini that have sprouted up in my garden. I have to say I’m most looking forward to green beans.
Grilled Summer Stacker:
Ingredients: (Makes 4 stacks)
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 yellow zucchini sliced should equal about 1 cup
- 1 green zucchini sliced should equal about 1 cup
- fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced thick
- 7-8 basil leaves
- olive oil 2 tablespoons
- Balsamic vinegar
- Turn on your grill to medium heat, let it warm up.
- In a plastic bag mix the sliced zucchini, olive oil and add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Cut the tomatoes in half
- Grill tomatoes, onion slices and zucchini’s until soft.
- Remove from grill and stack tomato on bottom, alternating cheese, basil leaves, onion and zucchini’s.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.
I can’t believe we actually grew all of this in our garden. Everything except the cheese we simply went out back and picked. I can’t tell you what an accomplished feeling it is. I felt like the first man who decided to try milking a cow 😉
My husband also made this amazing peppered pork to go with my stackers. It was a delicious way to kick off our first garden dinner of the year! Here’s to many more!
Since I’m still recovering from the craziness that was the Boilermaker today my workout was honestly about 10 squats. I had a bunch of afternoon work meeting and was too pooped for anything additional when I got home. Back to the grind tomorrow!