This morning I did something I have done seven times in my life and today made #8. We took my son to the Children’s Hospital for yet another surgery. My little guy is a trooper. I’ve never had a single surgery in my life. I have no idea what one is like let along 8, but he is amazing.
He did wonderful and luckily this was an out-patient ear procedure so it was quick! I just love him!
I promised I would share with you a little more about my modifications to last nights meat-less Monday lighten up Mac& Cheese and here goes! You can see the original recipe here.
And my version:
Mac and Cheese Lite From Rocco Dispirito’s Now Eat This!
*slightly altered by me
Makes: 4 servings
Nonstick cooking spray
whole wheat smart macaroni
1/2 cup onion-garlic puree
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded 50 percent reduced-fat cheddar
1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup of Broccoli
1 -2 cups of asparagus cut into 1″ pieces
1 teaspoon Hot Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mist an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions, drain. Steam veggies with the steam from pasta.
- Meanwhile, bring onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne, hot sauce to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.
- In a medium bowl, toss the macaroni and veggies with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Top with Parmesan.
- Bake until Parmesan is melted and macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes.
By adding more veggies I have to say I didn’t miss meat as much at dinner as I thought I would. Interestingly enough going meat-less for one day made me realize how much meat I eat in a day. It was a MUCH harder challenge than I thought it was going to be and I’m looking forward to finding more great non-meat options. Thanks #elf4health!
Today’s challenge of the day is a writing our elf a handwritten note. Challenge accepted 😉
I wish I had been able to get in more of a workout today but it’s been a little crazy around these parts. I did mange to get in a 30 minute Core workout that has my non-existent abs crying. Plankoftheday is up next! I’m sure that means tomorrow will be lots of miles!
Some Monday Motivation:
Question of the Day: Ever had surgery?