You can file this recipe in the strange but good category all day long. The month of February is heart health awareness month. Get it valentine’s day…hearts…health it all makes sense. And this month I’m teaming up with Welch’s 100% Grape juice to share with you tips for keeping your heart healthy and a strange but good recipe to kick-start your heart healthy journey.
A few years ago I would have chuckled about anything health”y” related…my days were spent raising small humans and clinging to life with whatever convenience food was most near my mouth. They were dark times my friend. My cardio and workouts consisted of playing knee hockey with my then 3-year-old and trying to wrangle as best I could a 3 month old. But soon the fog lifted and I began to see that even my small steps had lasting effects on my overall health and moods. One of the first digital challenges I participated in was a squat challenge to support heart health.
And every hour I chose one minute to step away from my desk and squat:
That was 2013! And I’ve really never looked back, that day after what felt like 214972497324 squats I had a new appreciation for how a little can go a long way. I started making other heart healthy choices.
- I parked my car farther from the store and walked a little further to the store.
- I started actively trying to take the stairs where ever I went.
- I took a look at antioxidants and nutrient dense foods.
- I got a physical for the first time in MANY years.
I started making small but noticeable attempts to improve my heart health. One of the biggest changes I made was actively looking for ways to improve my cardiovascular health. We can be VERY sedentary people, it’s just a natural progression: computers, driving, work, tv… we sit to enjoy them and are sitting more and more everyday. I downloaded the couch to 5k app and was DETERMINED to run a 5k. Ok it was run/walk a 5k but it showed me that what I thought was activity…wasn’t enough. A flight of stairs shouldn’t make you short of breath..maybe 3 can though. 😉
Heart disease is a leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States. The good news? It is also one of the most preventable. Making heart-healthy choices, knowing your family health history and the risk factors for heart disease, having regular check-ups and working with your physician to manage your health are all integral aspects of saving lives from this often silent killer.
Another way to protect yourself from heart disease is with a health-ier diet. Welch’s 100% Grape Juice is a great source polyphenols which play a role in supporting heart health. The concord grape is shown to support circulation that keeps the blood and energy flowing!
Grape Verdi Salmon:
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1/2 cup Welch’s 100% grape juice
- 1/4 cup salsa verdi
- 2 tablespoons flour
- lemon slices
- jalapeno slices (optional)
- In a medium sauce pan pour in your grape juice and bring to a boil.
- Once at a rolling boil whisk in your flour till you create an almost gravy like consistency.
- Remove from heat and slowly add in your verdi salsa.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Salt and pepper your salmon fillets and place in tinfoil. Add a generous heap of your grape verdi sauce and a lemon slice and jalapeno if you choose. Seal up the tinfoil packet.
- Cook your salmon for 14 minutes.
- Add more grape verdi sauce to salmon to serve.
This was a pretty tasty little dish and a nice way to break up my rather traditional ways of preparing salmon. I also like a little heat kick. The next time I make these I’m thinking that I will skillet cook them rather than bake. My salmon always gets smooshy in the oven.
This recipe is another great step towards increasing your heart health in February.
The good news is it’s never to late to start working on your heart health! Begin with small steps towards a larger goal of heart health and let yourself be amazed by your progress!
Question of the day: What steps do you take for heart health? Best strange but good recipe you have and GO!