The time change has hit and with my extra hour I decided to do something I haven’t been able to do in MONTHS. I meal prepped. A year ago this wouldn’t have been shocking but lately, I’ve been off my game on almost every front available. With my new-found hour I decided to get myself and my entire family ready for the week ahead. And one meal that I’ve been missing is tabouli. I’m not sure why I love this recipe but it’s one of my most prized meals and one I regularly had in rotation when I was being healthy and meal prepping.
This is one of my favorite easy lunches to create. It’s tasty warm, it’s tasty cold and makes for eating on the run a breeze. It’s the perfect salad and while I normally love it in it’s usually version. This time I decided to add some new flavors and spices.
I like ancient gains a lot so this recipe gives me chance to use up any freehek I have kicking around. Freekeh is low in fat and high in protein and fiber. Serving for serving, freekeh has more protein and twice as much fiber as quinoa. Making it perfect for a lunchtime meal to keep you full.
Fall Twist Tabouli
- 2 cups of cooked Freekah
- 1 bunch of green onions finely chopped
- 1 large sweet pepper chopped
- 1 seedless cucumber diced
- 1 large cooked sweet potato cut into 1/2 inch bites.
- one large handful of cilanto finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon vinegarette dressing ( I used Marzetti)
- Cook Freekah as directed on the package.
- Mix Freekah and all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- I like to chill mine before serving. But you can service this warm as well.
Also if you’re looking for a little extra flavor burst a touch of cinnamon on top is a strange but good addition.
This recipe is the perfect way to mix some summer and fall flavors for one last hurrah of summer.