Alternate title: COOL BEANS! If you’ve ever eaten out with me you know 9 times out of 10 I order a burger. Why? Because I rarely make burgers at my house. Sure when it’s summer and grill is roaring I can create some pretty mean juicy burgers. But other times I hate having to slave over a stove to try to make 4 burgers that usually are missing the flavors of an open flame and leave my house smelling like burgers for a week.
I’m happy to report this week I decided to do something about it!
A healthier burger without the fuss and smell of the real thing! These were delicious and the recipe can be tailored to all sorts of other recipes. It would make killer bean burritos 😉 If you have a food processor this recipe is super fast and easy!
BLACK BEAN BURGER:
Recipe Basics from Sandra Lee’s Food Network Recipe
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- a few dashes of Hot Sauce
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-low heat.
- In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic until finely chopped. Add 1 can black beans, parsley, egg, hot sauce and red pepper flakes and pulse to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the remaining can of black beans and the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix until well combined.
- Divide into 4 portions and form into patties. Place on hot oiled grill over medium-low heat and cook about 6 minutes a side or until heated through.
Read more at: foodnetwork
Sandra Lee thought this recipe needed cilantro and while I normally love cilantro, I didn’t like it in this recipe. So I removed it and added in more onion, garlic and hot sauce! If your feeling super crazy you could also add in a little parmesan cheese too!
These bean burgers were the perfect solution to my burger cravings and can be refrigerated and quick prepared for lunch or dinner.
They were delicious prepared this way but next time I make them, I think they would make a perfect mexican theme. Topped with fresh salsa, lettuce, and avocados. Yumm it would make a heavenly mexican dinner.
Today’s workout will be a nice sweat session, I’m going to do 2 mile runs in between so I get my miles in for the day. Let’s hope the gym isn’t packed tonight!
If you are newer to working out my friend Joy over at Joy Fitness and Style has some great tips and moves today for strengthening your core! Be sure to check it out they are great tips and reminders for everyone.
Question of the day: Is it Friday yet?