When I wrote this blog back in the summer I was still pretty new to the fantastic world of Chia. Since then I’ve found new ways to create magic with them. I’ve even stuck them in rice crispy treats for my little guys 😉
First let me say: I eat a lot of Chia Seeds. I find the more I’m running the more I crave them and the better I feel after eating them. The problem for me was when I first started eating them…my reaction was one of What on Earth do I make with these? I’ve found they are a great mix ingredient. Anytime I think I can slide them it without the boys noticing is a great time to use them! I also really like them in my morning coffee but I know it’s an acquired taste.
The health benefits of Chia Seeds are excellent. They are rich in Omega 3 and dietary fiber. So for beginners here is a list of 20+ great ways to eat/drink Chia seeds.
Also a lil’ shout out to my favorite Chia company Running Food. Buy Local!
20+ Ways to Eat Chia Seeds:
- Mix with eggs to make an omelette
- Blend them up in smoothies
- Salad topping, sprinkle on top of your favorite salad or add to your dressing
- Stir into Soup to thicken it
- Make a thin batter of ground Chia seeds and milk and cook in a slow oven to make crackers
- Grind them and mix them into your morning coffee
- Chia Pancakes: grind seeds and mix with flour milk and eggs
- Mix into your favorite yogurt
- Add to baked goods for an extra kick
- Mix seeds into your favorite stir fry
- Eat them raw as a snack
- Add seeds to the meat for Meatloaf
- Add seeds to crunchy peanut butter for a little extra crunch
- For the kids: Add a spoon full of black seeds to a green Jell-O for homemade “frogs eggs” or add black seeds to Red Jell-O for a Watermelon look
- Add seeds to homemade pasta sauces
- Make Over Night Oats: milk, oats, yogurt and seeds
- Soak seeds in water then mix into your oatmeal
- Mix white chia seeds that have been soaked in milk through mashed potatoes
- Add seeds to your granola
- Cook brown rice in vegetable stock and stir Chia seeds through when rice is cooked
- Make chia seed pudding
- Grind them up and add to your waffle mix
- Sprinkle them on soft fruit for an extra crunch
- Make a banana boat snack with a banana cut in half with nut butter and seeds
Question of the Day: What is your favorite way to eat Chia Seeds?